The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Sherlock Holmes and the Athanaeum Ghoul

From the Manchester (U.K.) Evening News:

In this latest manifestation, a tortuous tale by writer Carl Miller, we find Holmes the worse for wear, overtaken by the boredom of retirement – and cocaine, administered by his caring boy housekeeper. Does Holmes have hidden depths after all? Dr Watson has moved on – and written a play about the old sleuth. As we watch his creaky production on the stage of the Athenaeum Theatre, it is interrupted by a horrible murder. The ghoul has struck. Watson calls Holmes into action. Miller has created a play true to the tradition, a sort of end-of-the-pier whodunnit (you’ll never guess). It involves Victorian underlife, where young girls get sold for toffs’ pleasure, an actor of the old school bent on getting a knighthood, a steam-filled Turkish bath in Covent Garden, a fearsomely howling fiend, like one of the hounds of the Baskervilles, and a coup de theatre which failed to work. Guns go off, things explode, people scream.
The newspaper's theater critic Philip Radcliffe gave the play 4 stars (out of 5). How I wish I could see it performed! I crossposted this from the new blog I created tonight, 221B Baker Street. I often posted items of a Holmesian nature on this blog out of personal interest even though they seldom fit under the category of "Tales of the supernatural." In fairness to the other Haunted Vampires, I need to be more careful in what I post so that I do not unnecessarily push their excellent posts down the thread too fast. With that in mind, I'll still post news of Sherlock Holmes here when it is related enough to horror and the supernatural. Otherwise, you may find them here.

3 Comments:

Blogger protected static said...

Eh, I wouldn't lose any much sleep over it. You started with a quasi-semi-sorta-Victorian theme here, which I've certainly indulged w/ my Jules Verne reference among others... Hardly 'horror', but then, neither are the science pieces I like to slip in. I think we've got a good mix of neo-Victorian + pulp + horror + true crime + supernatural + sf (and even an occasional bit of bd + sm for giggles) going on here ;-)

Oh, and it sounds like a fun play, too...

9/27/2005 11:55:00 PM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

Poland, you forgot...can't believe that's the first time I've worked that joke in here.

Yeah, we've got a pretty good mix. Archaeology and cryptozoology too some days.

9/28/2005 12:38:00 AM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

And I tidied up the sidebar too. Sort of. Tried to make it less cluttered.

9/28/2005 12:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home