The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Mystery of the Haunted Title

Here's a brainstorming post. Curt from The Groovy Age of Horror finished reading my manuscript and suggested the title might not be doing the book justice (to clarify: he really liked the story). I can see his point about the title since I haven't had success at marketing it to potential agents or publishers. He offered some alternative titles. Feel free to post your thoughts or title suggestions in the comments. God Save — (A Victorian Nightmare) God Save the Queen of the Night Where Vampires Fear To Tread The Stonehenge Vampire Massacre The Stonehenge Monster Massacre Victoriamagoria The Gaslight Apocalypse Gaslight Armageddon Here's some from me inspired by Curt's: Apocalypse by Gaslight God Save The Damned Haunted Beauty The Damned and the Detective Psalm of the Vampire Psalm of the Un-Dead Soul of the Vampire The Secret Vampire War Secret War of the Supernatural The Vampire's Secret Here's some actual titles of William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki short stories for inspiration: The Gateway of the Monster The House Among the Laurels The Whistling Room The Horse of the Invisible The Searcher of the End House

8 Comments:

Blogger protected static said...

I like

God Save —
(A Victorian Nightmare)


and the variants on "Gaslight Apocalypse"

I've been mulling some others over, too...

8/23/2005 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger KcM said...

The gaslight ones sound most evocative to me as well. I'm assuming this is a vampire novel set in Victorian/Ripper-era London...some turn of phrase from that era, redolent of gaslight and fog, might work nicely. Perhaps a play on a Sherlock Holmes title?

8/23/2005 08:44:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Kollar said...

Personally, I like Soul of the Vampire. That's what stood out for me, was Lucy's struggle to keep her soul.

8/23/2005 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger protected static said...

sorta free associating here...

* Blood on the Cobblestones

* Gaslight Fear

* Gaslit Fear

* The Gaslit Horror

* Gaslight & Shadows

* Lost Souls by Gaslight

* Lost Souls & Gaslight

* Bloodstones

Damn, this is harder than I thought it'd be... (I sorta got stuck on the gaslight...)

8/23/2005 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Melrose said...

God Save — (A Victorian Nightmare) has a nice ring.

8/24/2005 05:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I am on the same page, but here are some of my ideas.

*The Ghastly
*The Horror by Gaslight
*Deadman's Psalm
*The Vampire's Psalm
*The Dammned Detective
*Detective of the Damnned
*Bloody Hell
*Bloody War

8/24/2005 09:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked "Soul of the Vampire."

What's most striking about this novel is that it is told from the vampire's point of view (Lucy's diaries), it is also a story of redemption (Lucy's) and her constant fight against the evil tendencies she has as a vampire, and integrating these tendencies into her personality. Perhaps with a subtitle that reminds one of the Victorian Age.

Like

Soul of the Vampire
From Miss Lucy Westenra's diaries

8/24/2005 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Curt Purcell said...

To reiterate: I really liked the story! Anyone who hasn't read it, should. Whatever title you end up with, Ben, I wish you the best in getting this published!

(p.s.--I'm back!)

8/24/2005 03:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home