The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Slither

Updated:: I saw it tonight. I hadn't had the chance to go to movies in a while and this looked like the last chance to see it in the theater. Slither was excellent, more fun than I've had in ages. Some good jump moments, gross out scenes and good humor. I saw a trailer for Slither. After a long span of movies I knew I'd see but didn't excited because I knew if I got my hopes up too high they'd be dashed, I'm psyched to see a horror film again. Too bad I have to wait until March 31st when it opens. Slither reminds me of a late night Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game with my friends a decade ago. I mean that in a very good way. A meteor crashes near a small community. What appears to be space slugs come out, infect one person and spread out rapidly while police and others try to figure out what is happening. There was even a Call of Cthulhu scenario just like this except it was a geode. The infected turn into horrific, mutated zombies. The sheriff (played by Nathan Fillion of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly and Serenity) and his deputies are trying to figure out what is going on and stop it before his town is destroyed. This looks like it's old school monster horror. The movie is rated R so there's no PG-13 cop outs like Cursed. Parts of it look quite grotesque and macabre, other parts humorous with the sick gallows humor that is the best kind of humor of all, and to me it just has a terrorific* vibe. I'll admit I'm a huge fan of Fillion because of his work in the final season of Buffy and as the captain of Serenity so I'm probably biased about this movie. But it's also written and directed by James Gunn, who did the script for the really well made Dawn of the Dead remake so that too gives me a lot of hope. Originally posted Jan. 26, 2006.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

*Yes, I'm making up words again.

1/26/2006 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Good review .. I love horror movies that let you in on the joke, and this one is a great example .. I can't believe it tanked so bad at the box office

4/14/2006 05:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is like "Night of the Creeps"? Excellent!

4/15/2006 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home