The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Friday, October 21, 2005

"Hurricane Ophelia Unearths Part Of Blackbeard's Ship"

Because we haven't had a good pirate story (or even a bad pirate story) on MotHV for a while, and because it's the closest I think I'm likely to come to any kind of seafaring ghost story, Trafalgar Day or not (sorry, Carnacki!), I thought I'd pass this bit along. From the website of WTKR Channel 3, Hampton Roads, VA, we have this:

Researchers excavating the site of the shipwreck believed to be Blackbeard's flagship got an unexpected assist from Hurricane Ophelia. The storm churned up the waters and unearthed an apothecary mortar from the remains of the Queen Anne's Revenge. That's the thick bowl familiar to modern eyes in pharmacy logos, where it's shown with a pestle.
The Daily News of Jacksonville, NC has a more detailed version of the story, including some of the technical challenges the archeologists uncovering the site face when dealing with frequent hurricanes and tropical storms.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

I got the Trafalgar posts covered. Cool post on Blackbeard's ship. It also reminded me I haven't finished my Outre' Banks post. I'll have to finish writing that up for tomorrow. My boss is covering for me at my second job tomorrow because I've been burning the candle at both ends and need the day off so I should have time to write it.

10/21/2005 05:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home