The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Pimping "The Historian"

I haven't plugged Elizabeth Kostova’s "The Historian" in a few days. Here's a pretty good review in The Indian Express:

Gleefully I rub my hands together, because the novel already feels like what The Da Vinci Code ought to have been but wasn’t: an intelligent romp through personal and collective history, literature and legend, led on through a maze of obscure codes and secret symbols, hidden texts and medieval traditions; and, of course, the imagination. A novel that brings together the mystique of Vlad the Impaler, Dracula, and Evil. Best of all, a sumptuous quest-novel with an intelligent woman as protagonist and narrator. And her narration is cool, thoughtful, intelligent. Much is promised, then, and the novel mostly lives up to the promise. It is an academic quest, far more in the tradition of A S Byatt’s Possession than in the farcical potboiler style of Dan Brown.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Melrose said...

Have you read The Historian yet? It's in my to-read pile, but it could be a while before I get to it.

7/11/2005 08:55:00 AM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

More than likely I won't get to it until September when we go to the beach. I'm working 6 days a week lately and not ready to tackle any heavy tomes until I have some uninterrupted R&R.

7/11/2005 09:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home