The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Friday, January 20, 2006

TheVeep reviews 'Hostel'

Via Jesus' General, TheVeep's review on IMDB of Hostel:

Not very realistic, 16 January 2006 Author: TheVeep from An Undisclosed Location *** This comment may contain spoilers *** I really wanted to like this movie, and I'll admit that parts of it excited me in a way that required me to shift the position of my popcorn, but the film lacked the realism I was told to expect. Men don't scream like that when they're subjected to pain approaching, but not equivalent to organ failure. Their screams are much more piercing and non-human in nature. And when a man is using a power drill to penetrate human flesh, he's thinking about something very different in his mind, thoughts that are physically expressed in a very noticeable manner if you know what I mean. My wife tells me that it's art and that it's aimed a broad audience rather than simply at experts. I don't know about that. It seems to me that even the layman can sense when something isn't authentic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Colin said...

someone complaining that the reaction to pain and suffering was not "realistic"? Now THAT is scary. I felt that the job the actors did was comendable.

1/20/2006 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

jiangtou,
I sometimes forget how many readers here are from overseas and might not catch some of the American slang. In this case, the review is satire as if written by the sadistic Vice President Dick Cheney, who supports torture by the U.S.

1/20/2006 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess i missed the reference taken out of context. We up here in Canada honestly can't figure out what you southern folk are talkin' about half the time (wink!). What's that "aboot'?

I gesss TheVeep has really hit on some of the things Eli really wanted to touch on. Keep up the good work on the blog Carnacki.

1/21/2006 11:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home