The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

An addiction to vampires

This post is a desperate cry for intervention. Some one stop me from seeing Blood Rayne. Even with German director Uwe Boll at the helm, there is a large part of me that wants to see Blood Rayne because it's about vampires. I don't want to contribute to the problem that is Boll. But it has vampires. Do you know how often I've thought I'd bottomed out from my addiction sitting through the dreck of some cheesy, badly lit, poorly told vampire tale? Well, I don't know either. But a lot, I can tell you that. I need a 12-step program. I mean, it's Uwe Boll! How low am I willing to go to feed my vampire need? Apparently very low. From IGN:

"I felt that setting BloodRayne in 1750, Transylvania created a stronger, creeper atmosphere then placing Vampires in the Second World War," Boll explained in an interview at Dark Horizons. "I see BloodRayne as a franchise and chose to focus on the story's origins." Boll acknowledges the edgy, violent characteristics of his movie. " BloodRayne is an extremely violent, disturbing mainstream Vampire movie. Our heroine is no 'Elektra' or 'Catwoman'. It may be difficult for some audience members to accept her as such an unlikely heroine. Hopefully some people will embrace her less than traditional qualities." Starring as the movie's title character is Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3), whom Boll feels was a perfect fit for the part. "Loken is the perfect Rayne.....she's hard, strong, tall and sexy.....a warrior and a women. Rayne doesn't win over everyone's heart in the film. She has her own sense of purpose and destiny and frequently resorts to extreme violence. Rayne is a sexy, blood sucking opportunist with elements of heart and vulnerability. She is a survivor." For her part, Loken felt that the raw violence of the movie and the ambiguities of her half-vampire character made the film worthwhile. "We really just wanted to make it very primal. In the moments of her blood rage or blood lust it's subconscious because [Rayne] doesn't rationally want to kill to sustain herself. It's very animalistic and very raw. That's one of the reasons I really loved working with Uwe [Boll, director]. He really likes to go to those places.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I feel your pain. But I figure, if I can sit through "Modern Vampires" (Oy! Robert Pastorelli as Dracula!), then I can sit through Bloodrayne.

::is enabler::

1/05/2006 02:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home