The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Underworld visited

The set of Underworld: Evolution was visited by Coming Attractions. From the preview, I wonder if it's a sequel or more like hitting the reset button. (The first movie did well on DVD.) I really wanted to enjoy Underworld. Vampires vs. werewolves, what's not to like? Except it sucked and I don't mean in a good way like the vampire Kate Beckinsale biting into my neck and drawing out my life's blood kind of sucking. I mean sucked as in what-the-hell-were-they-thinking? kind of suck. The movie had a great look and Kate Beckinsale looked awesome as a vampire. She's good in everything, but she carried off that mix of sexual allure and menace. But I know roleplayers who could have come up with a much better plot and dialogue than in the first movie. So I really shouldn't expect much from this one. Except for the part I'll highlight in bold gives me hope. Because it looks like the script isn't something overlooked. With the great look - due mostly to Kate Beckinsale in leather - combined with a decent story, Underworld: Evolution might actually have evolved into a sequel worth viewing. Part One:

One thing fairly obvious, which you can see from the recent trailer, is that "Evolution" is as much a prequel to the first movie as it is a sequel, since it goes back in time to the dawn of the war between the vampires and the Lycans. In those days, they wore armor and wielded swords while riding around on armored horses, rather than wielding the machine guns we see them using in the first movie.
Part Two:
Overall, it looks like they've really upped the ante for this sequel, using their bigger budget to put more thought and detail into the design and detail of the sets. With that in mind, we have to hope that the writing and acting are raised to that level, so that hopefully, this will be one of those rare sequels that blows away the original. (While roaming around the make-up truck earlier, we saw a loose script laying around, and we learned that screenwriter Paul Haggis of "Crash" and "Million Dollar Baby" had done a few uncredited revisions to the script.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so disappointed by Underworld. For a start, the previews promised steamy vampire/werewolf love scenes (plus, the plot was ridiculous, the mythology was murky, and characterization was sacrificed in lieu of blowing stuff up. But I could have forgiven all that if there'd been vampire/werewolf noogie.)

The only up side to it was the beauty of the location. The city should have gotten an acting credit for the movie.

10/30/2005 06:16:00 AM  
Blogger protected static said...

I dunno... I'm willing to trade a lot of character development for some well-done explosions ;-)

I rented Underworld with very low expectations - did I mention quite how low my expectations were? - and I was pleasantly surprised when they were exceeded.

10/30/2005 11:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/01/2005 10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home