The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

"Satellite images confirm mystery glow in ocean"

I can't improve upon that... That, folx, is the actual MSNBC headline for this story about what appears to be a bioluminescent bacteria colony floating in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Somalia... and the damn thing is "about the size of Connecticut":

The event occurred in 1995 and was finally analyzed and reported last week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The mystery highlights how little scientists know about the ocean. Milky seas appear to be most prevalent in the Indian Ocean, where there are many trade routes, and near Indonesia.
Go, look at the pictures that accompany the article... and would someone page Captain Nemo to the white courtesy phone? Please? [updated 5-Oct-2005 10:20 ET to correct typos]

5 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

That is really weird.

10/05/2005 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

I do that all the time where I tinker with posts afterwards to fix typos.

10/06/2005 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger protected static said...

I try not to - it can mess up the way RSS feeds display the blog. But I have to fight the impulse constantly... ;-)

10/06/2005 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

I had no clue it could mess up the feeds. I'll have to be more careful about that.

O/T, I've been posting light this week because i've been busy dealing with mundane issues. Was in a car wreck on Monday morning going to work. No one injured though it totalled my car.

Looking to possibly get a Toyota Matrix or Corolla. I like Corollas but I'm thinking I need the extra cargo space for when I haul things, but I don't want the lower gas mileage of a truck. Matrix seems like a good alternative to buying a station wagon without it looking like a station wagon.

10/06/2005 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger protected static said...

Yeah - in my aggregator now, there's a blog I read with 5 entries 'posted' over the space of a day. It's really the same post - the blogger was updating the post as he got more information in. Each time he published the update, my reader interpreted it as a new post. I don't know if that's an RSS issue, if it affects Atom feeds, or if it's something that could be handled with better programming in my reader.

That sux about your car; glad you're okay. I'd say go with the Matrix (I'd check Consumer Reports first...), but that's me.

10/06/2005 11:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home