The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Give a little something of yourself

So... how does a wedding ring made from your own cultured bone sound?

Why go to Tiffany's for a wedding band when you have one grown from your own bones? That's what five British couples did this spring, starting with a trip to the hospital for a quick jaw biopsy to retrieve bone cells. The idea - a romantic experiment dubbed biojewelry - is the love child of Tobie Kerridge and Nikki Stott, design researchers at the Royal College of Art, and Ian Thompson, a bioengineer at Kings College London.
I first read about this this past winter or so - I still think it sounds pretty cool, even if Wired is only now catching up with it... The actual project website can be found here. So, waddaya say Carnacki? How about that as a token of my esteem and gratitude for your gracious invitation to participate in this little digital sideshow of yours? Or would that be a bit... ...excessive?

11 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

Sounds a tad bit excessive to me especially when I should be thanking you for joining up.

8/03/2005 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger protected static said...

You are too kind, sir...

8/03/2005 01:02:00 PM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

My skull book end is one thing, but bone rings...::shiver::

8/03/2005 06:54:00 PM  
Blogger protected static said...

Either y'all ever visit (either IRL or virtually) The Bone Room in Berkeley, CA?

8/04/2005 09:25:00 AM  
Blogger protected static said...

I'm jealous... That chapel is on my 'must see' list...

8/04/2005 02:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would do it but my wife on the otherhand might not be so keen on the idea. She did get me a funeral home supply catalog for our wedding anniversary last year tho'...

8/05/2005 08:50:00 AM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

That's some real love, Tim. It's like when a friend bought me my skull for Christmas. It was the perfect gift.

8/05/2005 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only problem is trying to top the gift every year and try to be stranger or more unique than the last one.

8/05/2005 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger protected static said...

Personally, I found that the Barbie & Ken as Morticia & Gomez Addams made an excellent (and completely unexpected) gift.

8/05/2005 12:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like one more thing for Bush to ban. What's next, cultured hair replacements (via stem cells)?

I suppose you could culture your own nose ring out of real bone. Earrings too. How about a piano made entirely of 'you'? Might save those elephants in Africa...

8/06/2005 06:25:00 AM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

theparallaxview,
You know the hair replacement/regeneration might be a big moneymaker for stem cell research.

8/06/2005 08:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home