The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Devil's Rejects

My quick thoughts to The Devil's Rejects. Warning SPOILERS dead ahead.

  • C+. Long time readers of this blog know I've been looking forward to this movie. I wasn't disappointed, but I did hope for something more.
  • The parts done well such as the cinematography were done extremely well, but more than half of the story, mostly the half of the story with the sheriff, did not hold up.
  • The Fireflys came off as a force of devastating nature, like a Texas tornado across the dusty plain leaving a trail of random, inexplicable death and destruction. That part worked, but it didn't really frighten me.
  • I dislike when movies get little things wrong about human actions. The hostage situation at the hotel captured that part well, but from my experience the last surviving hostage would have collapsed trembling instead of running. Nervous exhaustion from long hours of fright causes people to fall trembling and crying when they're rescued. The scenes involving law enforcement officers also did not seem real. "Silence of the Lambs" captured police officer behavior accurately when they searched the building for Hannibal Lecter. It made the movie more realistic and thereby frightening. In The Devil's Rejects, Rob Zombie failed to do that in the scenes with the police. The deputies showed no sense of urgency or give a sense a massive manhunt occurred elsewhere off screen when the movie showed the sheriff and his deputies at the office. The largest crime in the nation's history (the movie is set in the 1970s), four officers killed, a dozen wounded, yet it seemed like just a laidback, boring shift from all of the excitement at the sheriff's office.
  • I'm in love with Mrs. Zombie. Don't tell Mrs. Carnacki.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bella said...

Well, that saves me $9. I wanted to see it in the theatre but I would rather waste money on something else. I think I'll wait till the DVD is out. I have a big screen TV anyway AND i can do without the screaming teenage girls that frequent our theatre.

7/28/2005 02:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home