The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Mystery of Irma Vep

The Miami Herald makes a great point about a play I'd like to see:

Perhaps this is a bit presumptuous but I believe there are two kinds of theater goers in this town: those who don't mind werewolves in their plays and those who do. Call me elitist, but I tend to fall in the latter camp. While I haven't bothered to double check, I don't mind saying with some confidence that in the combined works of playwrights such as Shakespeare, Beckett and Chekhov, not a single werewolf could be found. With so many fine werewolf-free plays to choose from, I have a hard time discerning why one would go through the trouble and expense of staging a transmutative tale. Which is why I find it equally puzzling that I must admit an odd fondness for the Sol Theatre Project's production of The Mystery of Irma Vep, which not only features a werewolf but throws in a vampire and dancing mummy for good measure.
Just think what Shakespeare might have accomplished if he had worked in a vampire or werewolf into a few of his plays.

1 Comments:

Blogger Curt Purcell said...

He had witches and ghosts, and is considered an important precursor of gothic.

3/06/2006 07:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home