The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Monday, October 31, 2005

"Six vampire movies with bite"

I must salute MSNBC's movie editor, Paige Newman, for her bravery - or foolishness. Late last week, she wrote a column on 6 non-traditional-should-see vampire movies; that had to have been a daunting task, knowing that it would bring out the partisan in vampire and horror buffs. Still, it's not a bad point of departure (even if she seems to miss some of the deliberate Southern Gothic-ness of Near Dark). Her list?

  • Near Dark (1987)
  • Innocent Blood (1992)
  • Nadja (1994)
  • The Hunger (1983)
  • Ultraviolet (1998)
  • Martin (1977)
  • Of the list, I haven't seen either of the last two - Ultraviolet sounds like a lot of fun, a BBC Channel 4 miniseries she describes as "X-Files meets Dracula". So - there's the list. Anyone got anything they'd like to add? Remove? Second? Terminate with extreme prejudice? [updated 1 Nov 2005 1:21PM PST to correct the producers of Ultraviolet - thanks, Cav, for reminding us how willfully dense Yanks are ;-)]

    4 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    One of my favourites—Mr. Vampire!

    10/31/2005 03:45:00 PM  
    Blogger protected static said...

    That sounds fun - strange, but fun (and I've always wondered how traditional Chinese spooks like the hopping ghost would be portrayed...).

    Me, I'd've added Cronos for my non-traditional-but-must-see vampire movie...

    11/01/2005 12:09:00 AM  
    Blogger Cavan Scott said...

    Actually, Ultravoilet was on Channel 4 not BBC...

    11/01/2005 04:07:00 PM  
    Blogger protected static said...

    Which I might've known if I'd scrolled down to the bottom of the IMDb page where it says "Channel 4 Television Corporation" under 'Distributors'...

    To be perfectly honest, I think I (as well as most American readers) would have missed the significance of that as well. Mea culpa, won't happen aga... Ah, who am I trying to kid - it'll happen again. ;-)

    11/01/2005 04:15:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home