The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Monday, August 15, 2005

Atlantis?

Not that I've been on a lost worlds kick or anything, but this morning I stumbled across this:

Tsunami clue to 'Atlantis' found A submerged island that could be the source of the Atlantis myth was hit by a large earthquake and tsunami 12,000 years ago, a geologist has discovered. Spartel Island now lies 60m under the sea in the Straits of Gibraltar, but some think it once lay above water.
Lest we get too excited, I feel I would be remiss should I not point out additional Atlantis articles on the Beeb here, here, here, here, here, and here. The BBC also has a great page for their series Ancient Apocalypse which examined historical collapses here. [Right after I published this, I found the homepage for the BBC science program Horizon which has broadcast a number of shows on lost civilizations, including this one on a land-locked Greek city which may also have been the inspiration for Atlantis. The Horizon archives have a number of stories that could provide plenty of grist for the horror writer's mill: plagues, lost civilizations, alternate dimensions... good stuff.]

3 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

Excellent post.

8/15/2005 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger protected static said...

Yeah, not too bad apart from using "historical collapses"... Yeesh. :)

You back on duty?

8/15/2005 01:14:00 PM  
Blogger Carnacki said...

I snuck in last night after mom went to bed, but she's in town until Wednesday so I'll be hit-or-miss.

8/15/2005 03:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home